Come support our dancers today at the 1:00 pm free TSODA dance concert at Baldwin Auditorium
It’s a beautiful Palm Sunday! Come and watch some wonderful dancing today, FREE and open to the public, and support our Middle and High School Contemporary/Lyrical Classes, along with tapper Daniel Marshall, who have been invited to perform at the Truman Society of Dance Arts Spring Concert. Miss Olivia has done a spectacular job choreographing these pieces and preparing these dancers for this performance. I hope to see you there at Baldwin Auditorium at 1 p.m. today!
David Foster, who has danced at Alvin Ailey and the Nashville Ballet, and has appeared in productions of
“Mama Mia” and “The Wiz” and was a dancer in the classic movie remake of “Dirty Dancing” will be our guest instructor for our older Dance Intensive this Friday. He is also inviting dancers for a special one hour session that day in which he will be choreographing a jazz/hip hop dance (4:30-5:30 p.m.). We are very fortunate to have David instruct at our studio!
Policy Regarding Number of Class Meetings for 2017-18 Fall/Spring Semesters
This is a reminder that our dance classes resume at the Kirksville studio the week of January 8 and 9. This means that a total of 34 class offerings (note: our fall and spring major rehearsals are considered class offerings) are on the schedule for the 2017-18 Fall/Spring dance season. Since we guarantee 32 class offerings each year, this means if all of these classes take place without any weather cancellations, students will receive two bonus class meetings. The first two weather cancellation for any class, then, will not need to be made up; however, if there are more than 2 such weather cancellation, we will schedule makeup sessions for such classes. The full spring schedule is now posted on our www.dancestudioofkirksville.com web site and Dance Studio of Kirksville Facebook page.
Ridge McGinley Takes First in Bill Riley Talent Search
Director Marcia Taylor extended her over the top excitement and congratulations to Ridge McGinley, instructor at the The Dance Studio. Ridge is a mega talented dancer and instructor on his way to the top of the dance world.
National Tap Champion, Makenna Carnes
Director Marcia Taylor is proud to announce the outstanding performances of our dancers at the EDGE National Talent Competition: 6 dancers were national champions; 2 were national runners-up; 9 other individual and group entries finished in the top 5 in their categories; 24 high point plaques were awarded to our dancers; 3 of our dancers were selected for the national EDGE dance team; and ALL of our entries were awarded platinum or high gold. Pictured here is national tap champion in her age division, Makenna Carnes (right), with her individual instructor and sister, Miss Morgan.
Fall Registration Day
Tell your friends to come and register for fall classes this Saturday 10 am – 2 pm at The Dance Studio. Registration fee will be waived and receive a 10 percent discount on fees paid.
2017 Summer Dance Camp
It’s Miss Marcia here, and I hope you are dancing with us at our 25th annual summer dance camp Wednesday, July 26 – Friday, July 28! We are going to have a great time, and summer dance is relaxed, fun, and when students can make progress quickly.
I hope you’ll get registered TODAY by enrolling online below, or by calling our registration hotline at 816-808-0839, or by e-mailing us at email@example.com.
Summer Dance Campers will have the opportunity to dance at our Annual Summer Outdoor Dance Concert Sunday, July 30, and be eligible to dance at the RED BARN ARTS FESTIVAL in September. Bring a new dancer with you to Camp (she/he must register in advance, too) and you will both receive 25% off your fee (pay only $30, instead of $38).
I hope to see you soon!!!!
Director of Dance
P.S. Our Fall Schedule of Classes is already posted online, and you are able to enroll for Fall Classes and even make your first payment online now.
THE DANCE STUDIO OF KIRKSVILLE
2017 SUMMER DANCE CAMPS
Our very popular, highly-regarded Summer Dance Camps are always fun, focused and fabulous dance experiences that emphasize improving dance technique and building a joy for dance. Participating students will also have the opportunity to perform at what has become one of our most popular performance venues – our Annual Summer Outdoor Dance Concert on Sunday, July 30 (no costume or ticket fees!), which concludes a phenomenal 2016-17 dance season.
MARCIA TAYLOR, director and principal instructor of THE DANCE STUDIO OF KIRKSVILLE and THE DANCE STUDIO OF IOWA, has directed award-winning Dance Camps and Intensives throughout the Midwest, including the nationally-recognized Young Audiences Program in Kansas City and the dance camp program at Truman State University. She earned her degree in dance from the Conservatory of Music and Dance at the University of Missouri-Kansas City, as well as her degree in Early Childhood Education. Marcia is a former professional dancer who has been on the dance faculties of three universities. She is also a former Miss Missouri, where she was grand talent winner as a jazz dancer and represented Missouri in the Miss America Pageant. Marcia also danced as an NFL Kansas City Chiefette.
MARINA FANNING, instructor, is currently co-director of Kirksville High School’s award-winning Tiger Dance Team. She was Captain of the Kirksville High School Dance Team in high school before becoming a Truman State University Showgirl Dance Team member in college. Marina has won numerous awards at state, regional and national dance competitions. She is a very popular and highly skilled teacher at THE DANCE STUDIO OF KIRKSVILLE, who has great versatility as an instructor because of her dance training and performing in all popular genres – jazz, tap, ballet, lyrical, hip hop, contemporary, and dance team. She has a special love for young dancers, ages 3-7. Marina was also captain of the PEOPLE IN MOTION DANCERS and a lead dancer for TAP CATS PERFORMERS.
SPECIAL GUEST INSTRUCTORS will assist with our Camps and are sure to bring their great talent and added excitement to the week!
Over 1,000 students have attended our dance camps/intensives!
>Photos of previous dance camps/intensives are on our website at dancestudioofkirksville.com<
SATURDAY, MAY 6 REHEARSAL SCHEDULE
Our rehearsal schedule is NOT organized according to which performance a given class is in; it is organized more by age groupings from youngest to oldest classes, so look carefully to see when your class is rehearsing (some students will need to be at 2 of the 3 rehearsals). Our goal is to begin all rehearsals on time, so if your dancer is late, she/he might miss the rehearsal of one or more of her/his dances. For the first rehearsal specifically for the youngest classes, parents should remain on site because their dancer might be finished within 30 minutes or even less. NO DANCER IN THE 2nd OR 3rd REHEARSALS IS TO GO IN THE DRESSING AREAS UNTIL THE PRECEDING REHEARSAL IS COMPLETED; INSTEAD, SIT IN THE AUDIENCE AND QUIETLY WATCH THE PRECEDING REHEARSAL UNTIL IT IS OVER. ABSOLUTELY NO FOOD OR DRINKS IN THE AUDITORIUM OR DRESSING AREAS EXCEPT WATER (Kirksville Public Schools policy) – if we see food or drink in the auditorium, you will be asked to remove it, thank you. Again, being in the first rehearsal does not necessarily mean you are in the 1st performance, or in the second rehearsal in the 2nd performance, and so forth. This rehearsal schedule will also be prominently posted at the Studio and on our web site.
8:45 -10:00 a.m. Rehearsal Classes
Tuesday 5:15 “Pink” Class
Wednesday 3:15 “Pink” Class
Wednesday 5:00 “Pink” Class
Wednesday 5:40 “White” Class
PIM 1 Class
TAP CATS 1 Class
9:45 -11:00 a.m. Rehearsal Classes
PIM 2 Class TAP CATS 2 Class
PIM 3 Class TAP CATS 3 Class
PIM 4 Class Hippity Hop Class
PIM 5 Class Youth Hip Hop Class
Jr. Lyrical Class Junior Hip Hop Class
Youth Ballet Class
11:00 -11:20 a.m. Rehearsal Classes
All Dancers Performing the Halftime Routine at the EDGE Competition
11:20 a.m. –12:50 p.m. Rehearsal Classes
PIM 6 Class TAP CATS 4 Class
PIM 7 Class Senior Lyrical Class
Adv. Hip Hop Class 4 Senior Solos
Adv. Ballet Class Intermediate Ballet Class
SUMMER SHOWCASE ORDER OF THE SHOW
- “What Do You Like To Do In Summer?” (ballet shoes)– Tuesday 5:15 Crea. Move. Class; 9:00 Macon Campers
- “River Flows In You”- Thursday 6:30 Intermediate Ballet Class
- “Supercalifragilistic”- Peyton Cordray Solo
- “America”- Thursday 8:15 Senior Lyrical/Contemporary
- “Rockin’ Robin” (tap shoes)– Tuesday 4:30 Intro. To TAP CATS
- “For Good”- Mikaela Schlueter Solo
- “Footloose” (jazz shoes)– Tuesday 6:50 PIM 4/5 Class
- “Twist Your Frown Upside Down”- Delaney Banner Solo
- “Sugar Plum Fairy”- Thursday 7:20 Advanced Ballet/Pointe Class
- “Let’s Get Loud”- Allie Yoder Solo
- “Walking On Sunshine”- Lily Partin Solo
- “If You’re Happy and You Know It” (ballet shoes)– Monday 5:05, Tuesday 5:15 and Thursday 5:15 Creative Movement/Pre-Dance Classes
- “Vacation”- Tuesday 4:15 Youth Hip Hop Class
- “What a Feeling”- Tuesday 7:40 PIM 6/7 Class students who were PIM 6’s in the Spring
- “Don Quixote”- Kate Marshall Solo
- “Music, Music, Music” (tap shoes)– Monday 5:45 Int.-Adv. Creative Movement/Pre-Dance Class
- “Hold My Hand”- Emma Stanley Solo
- “Knocking On Heaven’s Door” (jazz shoes)– Kirksville 5:30 and Kirksville 7:30 Dance Intensive Students
- “Blessing” (ballet shoes)– Monday 6:30 PIM 2/3 Class students who were PIM 2’s in the Spring Showcase; Eva Sterup & Kirksville 1:15 Dance Intensive Students who were PIM 2’s in the Spring
- “Surfin’ in the USA” (tap shoes)– Thursday 4:35 TAP CATS ¾ Class
- “Home”- Millie Scruggs Solo
- “Pocket Full of Sunshine” (tap shoes)– TAP CATS 1/2
- “Classic Ballet”- Monday 4:00 Youth Ballet Class
- “Take It to the Floor”- Tuesday 8:30 Senior Hip Hop Class
- “Mack the Knife”- Jacob Carriker Solo
- “Waltz of the Dolls”- Morgan Mullock Solo
- “Sunshine and Summer Time” (jazz or ballet shoes)– Tuesday 5:55 PIM 1 Class; 1:00 Macon Dance Campers
- “Color Blind”- Taylor Henness
- “Summertime Jazz” (jazz shoes)– Kirksville 3:30 Dance Intensive Students
- “Not About Angels”- Cynthia Willcox Solo
- “Listen . .. “ (ballet shoes)– Monday 5:05 and Thursday 5:15 Creative Movement/Pre-Dance Classes; Macy Cleaver, Maggie Athon; 9:00 Macon Dance Campers
- “When I Met You In the Summer”- Tuesday 7:40 PIM 6/7 Class
- “Heal the World”- Tuesday 6:50 PIM 4/5 students who were in PIM 4 this spring; Kirksville 3:30 and 5:30 Dance Intensive Students who were PIM 4’s in the Spring Showcase
- “Singin’ In the Rain”- Daniel Marshall solo
- “Dance, Dance”-Monday 5:45 Int.-Adv. Creative Movement/Pre-Dance Class, Ansley Jackman, and Macon 1:00 Dance Camp
- “Go Light the World”- Rachel Case Solo
- “Four Swans”- Thursday 7:20 Advanced Ballet/Pointe Class
- “Guns and Ships”- Sydney Graves
- “Spice Up Your Life”- Monday 6:30 PIM 2/3 and Kirksville 1:15 Summer Dance Intensive students
- “Gravity”- Randall Chambers Solo
- “Surf’s Up” (jazz shoes)– Thursday 5:45 Junior Lyrical/Contemporary Class
- “How Will I Know?”- Tuesday 7:40 PIM 6/7 Class students who were in PIM 7 in the Spring Showcase
- 2016 Halftime Routine- All Dance Campers